- Put 1/3 a gallon of Dakin dairy cream (about 50 to 60 degrees cold) into a food processor.
- Process on low speed for approximately 15 to 17 minutes until you see butter forming. Process for about 2 more minutes. Put contents in a bowl.
- Separate the butter from the buttermilk as much as possible. Discard the buttermilk.
- Put the remaining butter into a bowl of ice water. The butter will harden. After it has hardened, separate any remaining butter from the buttermilk.
- The butter should be refrigerated in a closed container.
Note: Flavors such as chive, garlic, salt, cinnamon, honey, etc. can be added at the beginning of this process as desired.
Beth Cave says
We had a really great time at Dakin Farm today! My husband and I have stopped by several times in the past for a visit with the grandkids to feed the goats and enjoy lunch. But today was the first time we took the “tour”. Shannon was wonderful and explained so much about the cows and the process. The grandkids enjoyed feeding the young calves, petting the bunnies, drinking chocolate milk, and of course, feeding the goats! We just had to buy some ice cream after the tour to top off our day. The extra special touch was allowing the kids to pick out a free book from the reading collection! Thanks for some great memories.
ellie k says
Why do you say to toss the buttermilk. When we run a dairy in Ohio and churned butter we kept the buttermilk to drink.
Christina Hagar says
My grandson & I visited your farm years ago. We made butter, watched the pig races, toured the cows in a wagon ride and watched them getting milked. Later we had lunch there. I would LOVE to have a birthday party there more than anything. It’s the funnest thing we’ve done locally in years. Please let me know if we could plan the birthday party there.